So me and my sister went in on a $100 deal for 60 lbs of meat (with six people to feed in this house that was an amazing deal!) and I have come into contact with something other then boneless skinless chicken breast. That had been my staple for chicken since I have started weight watchers but now I am a little more comfortable cooking with other parts. I also realized that they were not boneless or skinless when I thawed them out but that’s okay just a little extra work never hurt anyone!
If you don’t buy chicken thighs you can most certainly use chicken breast for this recipe just remember the points for weight watchers will change.
Here is what you will need:
- 8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- a bunch of asparagus (I try and keep it between 30 and 40 stalks)
- 1/2 cup onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- chili powder
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and chili powder. When oil is hot place thighs skin side down first. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until you get a brown skin. Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. (The chicken should not be fully cooked it will be finished in the oven) Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Toss the garlic and onions into pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes then add in the mushrooms. Cook for another 2 minutes then add chicken broth and asparagus. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes then remove from heat.
- If you skillet is large enough (and oven proof) add the chicken back into the skillet and then place a lid on top. If you don’t have one (I doubled the recipe for family so mine was not big enough) use a glass dish. Spoon the asparagus and mushroom mixture into the bottom of the glass dish to make a bed for the chicken thighs. Add the chicken on top and cover with foil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove and serve with rice or potatoes.
This recipe serves 8 people, a piece of chicken each. For a piece of chicken and a good helping of vegetables the points plus value is 4 ww points. Siding this with 1/2 cup of brown rice for just 3 more ww points.