So if you have any Italian in your family you have definitely had eggplant parm. Most of the time the eggplant is breaded and fried and then the dish is loaded with cheese. Now my unofficial Uncle Louie makes a really mean eggplant parm but he has told me it is definitely not healthy. So I made it my personal mission to create a satisfying and healthier version of this dish.
It is very important to remember to cut the eggplant into even slices so they cook all at the same time. This is a meal is a little scary if you have never had it before or had someone make if for you but don’t worry its not hard at all.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 medium eggplants sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 2 cups mushroom caps sliced thin
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1 3/4 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can stewed tomatos
- olive oil cooking spray
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray and then place the eggplant onto it. Spray the tops of the eggplant with cooking spray. Cook in the over for 30 minutes. Flip the eggplant halfway through.
- In a skillet cook the onions for about 5 to 6 minutes then add in the garlic and mushrooms. Allow to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes then take off the heat. Mix together the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and heat over medium heat.
- Now it is time to assemble the dish. Grab a 9×13 pan and spread half of the tomato sauce on the bottom. Layer with half of the eggplant slices on top of this. Top with half of the mushroom mix. Then take 1/2 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese and the parmesan cheese and top the mushroom mix. Top with the other half of the tomato sauce. Place the other half of the eggplants on and then the rest of the mushroom mixture. On top of this place the stewed tomatoes and then finish off with cheese.
- Place back into the oven for another 20 minutes to allow the sauces to heat up and the cheese to melt.
This dish is delicious and no one will ever no its low fat! This whole thing serves 8 people and is just 4 ww points a person! So if you just want to make it for a few people and have extra, it won’t break your point bank!