Now meringue cookies are naturally low in calories because they lack a lot of what makes a cookie, well a cookie. You won’t find flour or oil in these cookies which saves a lot on the scale. However these cookies can lack a lot of flavor so you have to really improvise with what you add in. This cookie is filled with yummy mini chocolate chips and a nice sweet coconut taste. If you don’t like coconut then go ahead and leave that out and add another tablespoon of mini chips.
Now if it is too moist out then you will have trouble whipping your egg whites. Try and leave this recipe for drier months.
Here is what you will need:
- 6 egg whites (if you leave the eggs out for about 30 minutes before you start they will be easier to separate)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried shredded sweetened coconut
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl add your egg whites and cream of tartar. On medium speed start to whip air into the egg whites. This will take a couple minutes before you start seeing what the meringue will look like. After three to four minutes add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whip again and slowly add in the sugar a little at a time.
- Once you can get stiff peaks you are done. If you over beat the eggs you will start to get a grainy constancy.
- Carefully fold in the chocolate chips and coconut. Make sure to break the coconut up before adding it in that way you don’t have clumps.
- Use a tbsp to spoon out the mixture onto lightly greased cookie pans. Bake for 14 minutes making sure to rotate halfway through for even cooking.
I got 54 cookies out of this recipe but if you get any where from 45 to 55 that is fine. Now for just 1 cookie it is 1 ww point! And for three of these gooey goodness cookies it is just 2 ww points! If you want you can take the basic recipe and add in whatever you want!