Oh pinterest will be the death of me, or at least my bank account. So while browsing through the wonderful website the other day I came across these awesome pictures of food in a mini muffin tin, but like everything I really love the picture only led to a random website with the picture, no real article. But hey I know how to cook! No need for a recipe I will just make my own. And so I did. Now my family loves corn dogs. One of my cheats I do is if we go to the local movie theater (which is never these days because for three of us its close to $40) I always allow myself to get the corn dogs. I mean once in a great while won’t kill you. Well my husband decided he needed more so he went out and bought a box of the frozen ones. No fair to me at all. They are my ultimate demise.
Here is my healthy homemade version so you know exactly what goes in and is just as delicious. If you don’t normally buy whole wheat flour, just go ahead and use white flour it doesn’t make a difference really. And if you happen to have low fat buttermilk then go ahead and use that in place of the almond milk and white vinegar.
Here is what you will need:
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp fat free sour cream
- 1 cup uncooked yellow corn
- 4 turkey hot dogs (I use Jennie-O)
Here is what you will need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. In a small bowl mix together the almond milk and vinegar. Set this aside while you prep everything else.
- In a large bowl mix together your dry ingredients; cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set this bowl aside and grab a smaller bowl and add your wet ingredients; egg white sour cream, and the milk vinegar mix. When this is mixed well add in the corn. (NOTE if you do not want to see pieces of corn in your bread, just toss them in the food processor and pulverize those bad boys, if you don’t care then leave them intact.)
- Now mix together the wet and dry ingredients in the large bowl. Do not over mix this or it will lead to tough corn bread.
- Lightly spray your mini muffin tin and then get to town filling them. Fill them 3/4 of the way which is a little tricky but do your best. When that is done, slice the hot dogs into 1 inch segments then push them into the center of each cup. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove carefully and allow to cool slightly on cooling rack.
This recipe makes 24 mini corn dogs. Now if you are serving 4 people that is 6 corn dogs a person which is more then enough. Those six corn dogs are 7 ww points a piece. However a more reasonable amount is 4 corn dogs which is just 5 ww points a person. But no matter how many you have, just know you are enjoying a wonderfully healthy treat!