Tuna can be so bland sometimes. You end up having to add massive amounts of seasonings and mayo. So not good! Here is an awesome way to doctor up tuna dish with a few fresh ingredients and a vegan cream sauce! Why a vegan cream sauce you ask? Well a normal cream sauce calls for milk and heavy cream and well in moderation those things are fine, but if you can replace them then why not! I also use homemade roasted peppers. While not so much homemade but definitely cheaper then buying roasted peppers that are canned.
To roast peppers, set your oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the peppers in half and scoop all the seeds and inside spine out. Salt and pepper the peppers and then dribble a little oil on to them. Bake for 10 minutes then flip and bake another 10 minutes. When they are done toss them in the paper bag and close. Let them sit in their for 15 minutes before handling. This allows the peppers to steam and then the skins will come off easily. Cut them up and toss them in any meal to get that wonderful taste.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cans of water packed tuna fish drained
- 1 medium red pepper roasted
- 1 medium green pepper roasted
- 1/2 medium uncooked onions
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms
- 12 oz box Smart Taste Elbow noodles
- 3 tbsp unsalted vegan butter
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp pine nuts crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
Here is what you do:
- Prepare the elbow noodles as the box says, omit the salt.
- Chop the roasted red and green peppers, onion, and mushrooms and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter then mix in the flour. Cook for about a minute until a rue is formed. Don’t cook to long or it will burn. Now add in the almond milk and crushed pine nuts. Whisk together until the sauce has become creamy. Season the sauce with the nutmeg.
- In a large bowl mix together the noddles, tuna fish, vegetables, cream sauce, and seasoning. Mix well before serving.
This recipe makes ten servings and just 5 weight watcher points a serving. The best part about this is that it is even better the next day when it has chilled in the fridge! Enjoy also with celery or carrots! Enjoy!