Chewy bars and other store bought oatmeal bars are so popular in school lunches or as snacks for kids when they come home. Hey who wouldn’t love granola and chocolate and peanut butter and other yummy tasty things. However if you have ever look on the side of a box you probably can not pronounce the things that are included! I know because I tried this last night and I got through the first three words. These granola bars I can happily send to school with my son and not have to worry what he is putting into his system and also know they are healthy. These can sure be messy to make but fun for the whole family!
You can substitute peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips of cranberries for the craisins depending on what you are looking for and like. Make these on a Saturday or Sunday and you will have them for packed lunches during the week.
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cups whole grain old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut meat
- 1/2 cup of wheat germ
- 3 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup of dried craisins
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place your rolled oats, almonds, and coconut meat onto a baking pan and toss in the oven to toast for about 10 minutes. Remember to check it about halfway through and toss them. When this is done toasting take out and the oven and then drop that temperature down to 300 degrees F.
- Mix together the toasted oats, almonds, and coconut meat in with the wheat germ. Set this aside and grab a small sauce pan. One the stove heat together on medium: butter, honey, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil and stir until everything is mixed well and a nice thick liquid. Pour into the oats mix and stir well. Now add in the craisins and mix.
- Now if you want to see whole mini chocolate chips the mix cool a little bit, then add it in and only stir a couple times. If you wanted melted, which I love, then add right away and give it a couple of good stirs.
- Now take the mix and transfer it to a dish covered in parchment paper. Now this next step is my favorite! Wet your fingers a little and just start pushing around the gooey mix so it feels up all the corners and is evened out. When this is all done toss in the oven for about 30 minutes. When done allow to cool from anywhere to an hour to three. Then cut into bars and serve!
Now this recipe makes 20 bars and carries a 5 ww point value. This would be something I would pack to take with us on a long hike where we won’t be having a real lunch for the day. I also would send this into school with my son as his snack because I know he is getting good stuff.