Now I love spicy food. Hot wings are no big deal to me. This dish really has a huge kick so if you are feeding kids or someone who doesn’t like the I would make a few small changes. Now aside from spicy food I also love my pasta so this dish is a two for one. I think that if you really love pasta you shouldn’t completely cut it out of your diet. First switch to a whole wheat pasta or if you like the “smart taste” variety change to that. I would suggest limiting your pasta to once a week or maybe even twice. I also despise meat sauces (even before joining weight watchers I didn’t like it) so I never use them. Try making your own sauce and use tons of different vegetables to flavor it.
I use shrimp in this recipe to help add a little kick to the dish. They are low in fat and carry a lot of flavor if marinated correctly and use with the right spices.
Here is what you will need:
- 1lb of uncooked large shrimp (if you can find ones that are already cleaned and detailed you will save yourself some time)
- 1 cup of hot sauce
- 1 tbsp of horseradish sauce
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups uncooked eggplant diced
- 3 medium tomatoes diced
- 3 uncooked shallots diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup of green peppers
- 1/2 cup of jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms diced
- 13 oz of uncooked whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
Here is what you do:
- About an how before you start to make dinner whisk together the hot sauce and horseradish. Toss in your shrimp then add a tsp each of the pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix well then set aside until you are ready to cook. Now if you are cooking for people who don’t like spicy food you can leave out the horseradish sauce in this step.
- When you are ready to start cooking set a pot on the stove and boil up the water for the pasta. Prepare as the directions say. When this is done, strain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan heat the two tbsp of olive oil until it glistens. Toss in the eggplant first and let cook for about two minutes. Then toss in your shrimp and all of the marinade. (now if you are cooking for people who like less spicy food only toss in the shrimp and half of the marinade and a 1/2 cup of vegetable stock) Let your shrimp cook for about five minutes.
- Now toss in the rest of the vegetables but not the tomatoes. Let this cook up for another five minutes. Stir together everything then toss in the tomatoes. Give it one more stir then cover the sauce pan for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Once everything is done cooking mix in the pasta. Give it a good stir, cover it again for another 5 to 6 minutes on low heat. Then serve.
This whole recipe serves ten people and is only 6 ww points per a serving. Don’t feel bad having your pasta and even having a roll on the side. All the vegetables in this recipe gives the dish body and helps make the sauce think, but not like the stuff you get in a can. You can feel good serving this to your family.