I love cookies. Oh do I love cookies. Sometimes I will buy a big thing of reduced fat Oreos and hide them so when I find them its like an awesome treat! However those cookies, reduced fat or not, are definitely not good for you. This recipe uses mashed bananas instead of butter and peanut butter instead of oil. If you or someone who will be eating these have a peanut allergy just leave the peanut butter out and add in some unsweetened apple sauce. These are a good filling snack for between when the kids get home from school and when dinner is ready.
The graham crackers in this recipe helps make a little dough go a long way and adds a little crunch to each bite. If you don’t like graham crackers just leave them out, but believe me they just taste so good!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 6 low fat graham crackers (place in a ziploc bag and crush them down with a rolling pin)
- 2 tbsps of sugar substitue
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter or apple sauce
- 2 bananas broken into smaller pieces
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, graham crackers, sugar substitute, and baking soda and set aside for now. In a smaller bowl add in the egg white, vanilla extract, peanut butter or apple sauce, bananas, and brown sugar. Beat together until smooth. I like to use an electric mixer so my arms don’t die before I am done. Once mixed smoothly use a rubber spatula and mix it into the dry mix in the large bowl.
- Once the dry and wet mix are well incorporated toss in the chocolate chips and give a couple more stirs.
- Lightly coat a cookie tray with olive oil spray. Take two spoons and scoop out about a 1/2 table spoon of the mix or until you have 18 evenly sized cookies. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, then take out and let cool for two minutes before taking them off the tray. Best if served warm.
Just one of these 18 cookies are perfect for a quick snack and even holds you over for a bit. Just one cookie is 2 ww points and really all you need is one. Premake these while your kids are at school then heat them up for a delicious healthy afternoon snack when they get home.