I love meatball sandwiches. These and cheese steaks always scream cheat day to me! However with my this recipe, I could have meatballs every night of the week! You could lose the bread and add pasta for delicious spaghetti and meatballs! These are so easy to make you could more then one batch, toss it in a crock pot and serve them at a party!
I use ground turkey to replace all the recipes I find that use ground beef. Turkey to me is so much healthier and just so much more flavorful with just the right spices. These turkey meatballs also include cheese mixed in so you don’t have to layer slices on top of your sandwich for that yummy cheese flavor.
Here is what you will need:
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 cup of whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole wheat rolls
- 12 tbsp of marinara sauce
Here is what you do:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl mix together the ground turkey, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, diced onion, shredded zucchini, and mozzarella cheese. Make sure everything is mixed well or you will have chunks of different things. Lightly spray a glass baking dish with olive oil spray. Now make a little smaller then golf ball size meatballs making sure to not over pact them or they will be tough. The mix will make just about 18 meatballs. On the stove or in the microwave heat the marinara sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Place three meatballs onto each whole wheat rolls and then spoon two tbsp of marinara sauce onto and enjoy.
Each sandwich is 9 ww points and you can side it with homemade fries or any vegetable of your choosing. This is an awesome “cheat” meal without really even cheating!