This is called FAKE chicken marsala because there is no marsala wine in the entire recipe. I cook for my son and husband most of the time and I know all alcohol cooks out but still I just don’t do it. This recipe has just as wonderful taste as any one made with the wine so it doesn’t bother me! If you are one who just needs it, substitute 1/2 a cup of chicken broth for 1/4 a cup of the wine. Make sure to watch your cooking time, if the chicken and mushrooms are done before the pasta the sauce can cook down so just add a little more chicken broth and let that cook down.
My recipe uses a smart taste ronzoni penne rigate but if you want to use spaghetti or another type of noodle just make sure to recheck the points plus value.
This is what you will need:
- 1 lb uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins (8 pieces)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups Ronzoni Smart Taste Penne Rigate
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
This is what you do:
- Place each chicken tenderloin in between two sheets of cling wrap or in a ziploc bag. Use a meat mallet to thin the chicken to about 1/2 inch thickness. Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a saute pan and toss in sliced mushrooms. Cook for about 8 minutes or until tender. Once done place in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare pasta by box directions. Set aside when done.
- In a bowl mix together flour, black pepper, salt, nutmeg, and salt. Heat olive oil in pan and dredge chicken into flour mixture. Make sure to knock off extra flour before placing in pan. Cook chicken for three minutes on each side then remove from pan.
- Keep pan warm and add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to flour mixture. Pour mixture into pan with mushrooms and rest of chicken broth. Let reduce for about two minutes then add chicken. Cover pan and cook for ten minutes. Serves 4 people, two pieces of chicken tenderloin each. Each serving is just 9 pp including the pasta!
I like to serve this meal with sliced cucumbers marinated in fat free Italian dressing. The cool crispness is a nice difference to the warm chicken and soft mushrooms.