This was so good! Even Rion asked if he could have it for dinner all week! I opted to not tell him there was onions in it! I was worried when going through the original recipe that it would be somewhat time consuming but it really wasn’t all that bad. Aside from a couple changes I made, I followed the recipe the same. The original recipe can be found here, http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2011/08/23/buffalo-chicken-mac-cheese-saves-the-day/
So while I was talking about making this with my mom, she kept adding the comment that “once you add chicken or any kind of meat to mac and cheese it is now a casserole!” and this went on for another five minute lecture on how it changes. As you can tell by the title, I pretty much ignored her!
Here is what you will need:
- 12 oz box of Smart Taste Ronzoni Elbow Noodles
- 8 oz cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast; cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup broccoli chopped
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup Fat Free Milk
- 4 oz Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Original Hot Wing Sauce
- 1/3 cup condensed 98% Fat Free cream of Chicken
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Mozzarella
Now here is what you do:
- Preset the oven to 325 degrees F. Cook pasta according to package but do not include salt or fat. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Lightly spray a pan with low fat cooking spray and add chicken. Saute for about 5 minutes then add onion, broccoli, and hot sauce. Continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and sprinkle flower evenly into pan. Keep heat around medium so not to burn the flour. Let cook for 2 minutes. In a separate bowl combine milk and soup. Whisk until blended completely then slowly add to saucepan with oil and flour. Bring to a boil and let cook for about 2 more minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- When saucepan has cooled slightly mix in the shredded Gruyere cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, and chili powder. Stir until cheese melts completely. Finally mix in the chicken and pasta. Taste now to see if additional hot sauce will be needed. I ended up adding some extra too!
- Transfer to a 3 quart baking dish, sprinkle on the rest of the mozzarella cheese. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted on top and warmed through.
- Makes about 10 servings of 1 cup each, but that is definitely more then enough!
If you don’t want to buy Gruyere cheese (I used it because I had some left over) you can substitute it for an Italian cheese mix that the original recipe uses. I served mine with a side of applesauce because that is what Rion wanted but I would recommend some steamed veggies, or even add even more veggies to the mac and cheese itself!